Winter Skincare 101
Updated: Feb 24
The winter season can cause dry, cracked skin. It is important to remember to change up your skin routine as the seasons change - therefore, the skin routine you have for summer will have to differ from winter.
Fortunately, there are many simple things you can do to relieve dry winter skin. We have put together a Winter Skin Care 101 guide to help you be on your way to more moisturized and hydrated skin during these cold winter months (plus, some of our very own recommendations to add into your routine!).
1. Humidity: Winter air is dry air due to little or no humidity levels, and it can wreak havoc on the layers of your skin if not cared for. The water content of the epidermis (the top outermost layer of your skin) is lost when humidity levels around it are low. (Not to mention, the drying effects of indoor heaters). You can increase humidity levels in your home by simply installing a humidifier. If you have a humidifier already installed in your home, be sure to take the time during the winter to adjust the humidity levels according to instructions. This can help keep moisture levels on your skin higher thus making your skin feel more supple.
If you do not have a humidifier installed in your home, keeping a room humidifier on at about 60% will also make a difference in your skin.
2. Body - Shower: Excessive hot water can be very drying to the skin. In the shower be sure to keep the water at a lukewarm temperature as hot water can strip your skin of natural oils needed to keep it hydrated. Also, try to keep your showers short 5-10 minutes to avoid depleting it from its natural oils. Skin feel extra dry after shower? Avoid soaps with synthetic fragrances. Synthetic fragrances are known to irritate delicate skin and can further strip away natural oils. A great alternative is our Handcrafted Soap - Face & Body, perfect for itchy, dry and sensitive skin. It is designed with only natural plant based butters and oils like Coconut Oil, Avocado Oil, Olive Oil to naturally moisturize and hydrate your skin, without over-stripping it.
3. Body Post-Shower: Apply moisturizer immediately after shower or bath while your skin is still damp. This will help "lock in" moisture and hydrate the skin. Avoid moisturizers and lotions that contain water. It's usually the first ingredient listed in most conventional skincare products. Most conventional lotions are made with 60-80% water, thus causing unnecessary water loss. Water-based products actually strip your natural oil barrier, because as the water evaporates, it takes your skin's natural oils with it. For post-shower care, while skin is still moist, our new Calendula Body Oil is a perfect addition to your winter skincare routine as it locks in moisture naturally with only plant based oils (and absolutely no water). This lightweight formula is also a great substitute for conventional lotion.
4. Exfoliation: The dry winter air can deplete our skin from much needed moisture leaving it dry, flaky and itchy. Sound familiar? Our skin is constantly regenerating and producing new skin cells, leaving behind dry dead skin. Unfortunately, this dry skin tends to linger on, preventing moisturizers from properly penetrating. It is important to prep the skin to receive much needed hydration and nutrients. Exfoliating your body once a week with our 100% natural sugar scrubs helps to remove this top outer layer of dry flaky skin while improving skin texture and tone. Without proper exfoliation, you may be just applying moisturizer to layers of dry dead skin (and we don't want to do that!)
5. Face & Hands: Cleansing Oil - Balance not only effectively removes makeup and dirt, but also maintains a moisture barrier after wiping, leaving your skin soft and supple. Infused with ingredients such as avocado oil, vitamin E, and tea tree, this wonderful cleansing oil is also a great product to have year-round!Did you know that excess washing can actually strip your skin of its natural sebum? Your skin naturally secretes oil to help protect itself from unwanted environmental elements while delivering much needed moisture, antioxidants and vitamins to your skin. Over-washing, can strip these oils away leaving it even more dry. Balance is key.
6. Hands: Let's not forget our hands! We tend to over-wash our hands in the winter in order to steer clear of environmental threats like the cold and flu. Following the same routine as the body, apply moisturizer immediately after washing your hands. Another new and wonderful addition, the De Mi Tierra Calendula Healing Balm contains healing properties for those days when winter causes cracked skin in the hands - we know first-hand how painful that can be! This miracle balm is perfect for those who suffer fro eczema and chapped, dry skin.
As the seasons change, our bodies require different approaches of care. Implementing such routines will help your skin feel and look better. Avoiding many conventional products will also prevent many winter-related skin dryness. Your skin will thank you!
To find more products to add into your skincare routine or gift to someone special, check out our online shop or visit us at our Chicago Ridge Mall location.